[Box Backup-dev] Missing libs when building on Solaris

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:13:26 +0000

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 21:00 +0100, Stefan Norlin wrote:

> > 2. This directive adds libraries if they are present, not if they are
> > necessary. Other platforms which have the libraries but don't need to link
> > them (the functions are defined in libc say) will end up carrying
> > unnecessary library dependencies.
>
> Are you sure about this for AC_SEARCH_LIBS?
>
> In the configure generated it seems it tries to link without any extra libs
> first and only if that fails it searches for the function in the specified
> libs
> and then tries to link with those. From my (sometimes limited) understanding
> it would seem it performs exactly the kind of testing wanted.

You're right. I should have remembered that AC_SEARCH_LIBS is different
to AC_CHECK_LIB in that respect. Thinking about it we do exactly the
same for librt and use AC_SEARCH_LIBS for just that reason.

I'll commit the change you suggested as soon as I get chance. Thanks for
the help!

Cheers,

Martin.