[Box Backup-dev] boxbackup-0.09_plus2 under Cygwin

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 20:36:05 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Gary,

>> Cygwin is NOT required to build - you can use MSVC. And regexes are
>> supported if you have the libraries - it's just that I don't have them
>> installed for native builds yet (it's not easy).
>
> Ok, then I am at a loss here - where does th Cygwin/MinGW comes into
> pleay in that case? I will try to build Win32 native using VS2K5, if you
> let me know which distribution is the way to go. Is anyone else working
> on VS2K5?

There are TWO ways to create a native build: cygwin+mingw, and perl+msvc.
For the latter, just run win32.bat, open the solution (in
infrastructure/msvc/2005) and compile. But it doesn't have regex support
either (at the moment). You will probably need to download something like
pcre and link it into the project.

>> Please could you help to fix Cygwin? I'll check in my updated tree to
>> Subversion this evening, which at least allows it to build.
>
> If I can build a native Win32 version, then a native Cygwin version is
> somewhat of a redundancy, there, but I can help you build/test, sure.

I have no idea if I can get regex support working in time for this
release, so Cygwin support might still be worth having.