[Box Backup-dev] A new problem with diffing large files?

Gary boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:35:43 -0800 (PST)

> > I cannot say, since there is no Win32 version yet with KeepAlive(),
> > yet (except for old Nick's
> > release tree for 0.9).
>
> What about the versions which Chris keeps on posting?

Those, apparently, did not include the KeepAlive(). The implementation for the command was there,
but it was not being called (?).

> >> Has anyone actually tested the keep-alive stuff on UNIX platforms?

I actually tested my old 0.9 code very extensively under Cygwin (client) and RedHat 9.0
(client/server). Both worked well.

> How do you know that this is the case? Have you checked the logs on
> the server?

The server does not report any network-related problems or timeouts.

> You might see this error if the server ran out of space in the
> account, but you can only tell if you look at the logs on the server
> as well.

No, still plenty of space under the account. My soft limit is about twice as large as my maximum
backup size, thus Box should start deleting content in case it runs out of space (hitting soft
limit) without waiting for housekeeping.

> It does transmit data! There is no timeout in the Box Backup code,
> only in the underlying OS socket. Sending a few bytes is more than
> enough to convince the remote side that it's still being used.

Ok, so KeepAlive() should have done its job, and the problem occurs with my original 0.9 code as
well (confirmed KeepAlive() getting called). So, it follows, this is either some kind of a freak
network problem/error unrelated to KeepAlive(), or something entirely new, that KeepAlive() does
not solve.

> The basic Protocol code has not changed.

Yeah, but we've been having large file diff/upload problems for a year now, we should really solve
this once and for all :).

Gary