[Box Backup-dev] Windows ACLs

Chris Wilson boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:36:51 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how Windows ACLs, owner and group
should be stored by Box?

I'm guessing that extended attributes would be the way to go, but I'm not
familiar with them and I don't know how to store them in a way that makes
sense and doesn't conflict with other potential uses. Perhaps as
attributes named 'win32.owner', 'win32.group', 'win32.dacl.administrators',
'win32.dacl.everyone', ...?

e.g.:

win32.owner = BUILTIN\Administrator
win32.group = BUILTIN\Administrators
win32.dacl.administrators = a bitmask of rights
win32.dacl.everyone = a bitmask of rights

Does that make sense? I'm still learning how to use ACLs.