[Box Backup-dev] Proposal (patch): bbstored HousekeepingStyle mod

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:18:48 +0000

"G." <gniemcew@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Interesting, I didn't think of that. Not sure how Box would behave on
> large files though, I have always kept my soft limit above my
> estimated (current) backup size.

It's a soft limit, so the idea is if the live backup set is bigger
than that, the soft limit is exceeded in order to store the data.
Otherwise it would be a hard limit.

If the backup set is smaller than the soft limit then sufficient old
and deleted versions will be kept to achieve the soft limit. Think of
soft as minimum and hard as maximum if it makes it easier.

> At any rate, playing with the soft limit forces you to make certain
> projections about your store allocation usage. The patch gets rid of
> that problem altogether, only the hard limit becomes a relevant
> quantity.

If you set the soft limit very low (or 0 if it works) then how does
that force you to make any projections? Once 0 always 0...

Cheers,

Martin.