[Box Backup-dev] "setlimit 0 (...) back with vengeance (Was: Proposal (patch): bbstored HousekeepingStyle mod)

G. boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 05:30:38 -0800 (PST)

Chris,=0A=0A> > There is currently no way for a client to know how many (ne=
w) blocks it =0A> > is going to upload at the beginning of a cycle (in orde=
r to do an exact =0A> > check), nor can housekeeping figure out that a soft=
-limit is too high =0A> > for future deltas, so I am guessing that this che=
ck tries to approximate =0A> > such a situation.=0A=0A> But why? What's the=
 relationship between a point somewhere between the =0A> soft and hard limi=
ts, and the amount of data that you might upload during =0A> this backup ru=
n?=0A=0ANo, I meant that a soft-limit itself (effectively, the number of fr=
ee blocks that housekeeping re-creates each time it runs) has to be large e=
nough to accommodate all new deltas from all clients (until the next housek=
eeping run). Why the approximation defines a control point 1/3 beyond that =
quantity - is unclear to me as well. Perhaps it figures that a client canno=
t consume more than 1/3 of the potential free block range, so that at least=
 3 other clients can upload something to the store?=0A=0A> Yes, that's what=
 Martin and I are proposing. There should be no panic, =0A> Box Backup was =
designed to handle this situation. The client will get an =0A> exception an=
d sleep for about 100 seconds; housekeeping will happen sooner =0A=0A> Yes,=
 I think that would be an improvement, but we are planning to remove =0A> h=
ousekeeping entirely in Box Backup 0.20, and have the client manage the =0A=
> store itself. Then you will be able to set any data retention policy that=
 =0A> you want, on the client.=0A=0AThen I think you guys are right - let's=
 remove that approximation check and bump up the sleep time.=0A=0AGary=0A=
____________________________=0AFinding fabulous fares is fun.  =0ALet Yahoo=
! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel barg=
ains.=0Ahttp://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097