[Box Backup] Syncronous sync option with bbackupctl?

Mitja Muženič boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:31:09 +0200

Ben (& the list),

I was considering different usage scenarios and one ugly beast can be imho a
laptop user who wants to make sure his files are backed up before he shuts
down or gets disconnected from lan. bbackupctl sync does help, but it is
asyncronous (regarding to the actual process of backing data)- it sends a
message to bbackupd and exits. bbackupd starts syncronising, but unless the
user is monitoring network traffic or possibly ps output (does bbackupd
change its state in ps listing?), he doesn't know for sure when his data is
safe.

My idea is to implement a bbackupctl sync-wait command (or something along
those lines) which would force bbackupd to start a backup run, but the
bbackupctl process would wait for a notification from bbackupd that the
backup session has closed. Basically, when getting offline, you would run
bbackupctl sync-wait and when you get back to prompt, this indicates that
your data has been backed up. This would come handy also in shutdown
scripts.

Thoughs, anyone? Do I make any sense at all?

OTOH & FYI, I'm running 0.7PLUS3 and works ok so far. Even my previously
mentioned cygwin / windows build seems to work ok.

Regards, Mitja