[Box Backup] Windows backups

Adrian boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:05:28 -0700 (MST)

Just thinking out loud...

If you had a bootable CD with linux on it (like Knoppix) and boxbackup,
you could boot to that once in a while to do a "full backup".  Set up
correctly this could be totally automatic.

Then use the Win32 boxbackup to do "user data" full time.  If you do a
significant system change (ex. install a new app), you can reboot with the
CD and refresh your "full backup".

In the event of a big crash, you would fix whatever is broken.  Insert the
bootable CD and do a restore of the "full backup".  Reboot to you restored
system, and then restore the "user data".

Two accounts would be needed to avoid having bbstored delete the files
that are not common (or a program change to allow different backup
configurations under the same account).  It would also be nice if bbackupd
had a single pass mode, where it quit after completing its work.
Something like snapshot mode, but with a signal that it is done.

Adrian