FW: [Box Backup] 0.08PLUS3

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:54:46 +0000

Ben Summers <ben@fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
> I would like to merge the code, but after 0.09 has been released. It
> looks like it will be quite a bit of work, as the build system will
> have to be modified significantly to cope (which is a job for me, I
> think). But there's only one way to find out, I suppose!

I've been reading the autoconf book which is looking pretty good:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

After years of general hacking on open source I've never used autoconf from a
developer's point of view, so thought it might be interesting to give it a
go. If you're interested in going this route then I don't mind helping out.

Of course, windows could be an issue with this. autoconf works on cygwin, but
I don't think it works natively on windows. The solution most projects seem
to take is to have a separate build system for windows, which given the
differences in the tool chains makes some sense. Or maybe it would be
possible to use the cygwin tools at build time but generate an executable
which only used native libraries, thus not requiring them at run time.

Cheers,

Martin.