[Box Backup] Unencrypted storage?

Michael Pruitt boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:57:00 -0600

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 01:38:25PM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
> If you don't want encryption, then there are other good
> open source projects to consider. Encryption will never be
> an option in Box Backup:

Please name them. My dream backup system (well, aside from
magically knowing what files *need* to be restored and only
archiving those) is a clustered write-once file system ala
GFS/Plan 9 (currently too unstable to be practical).

A more realistic solution would be something that "knows"
what files have to backed up and only back up those
files. Something that avoids the overhead of rsync or find
-newer. Something like... Box Backup.

The only downside to Box Backup is that the files must be
encrypted. I appreciate the the communications path is
encrypted, but want to be able to search/restore on the
server. Also, I sometimes need to restore to a client B when
client A did the initial backup.

I initially became interested in Box Backup because it's far
better than many open source project and definitely puts to
shame most commercial apps.

If there's a better application out there (commercial or
OSource), or a way that I can configure Box Backup to allow
plain-text files saves, please let me know.

Thanks,
  Michael Pruitt