[Box Backup] 0.08PLUS3

Joe Krahn boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:10:04 -0500

Charles Lecklider wrote:
> Ben Summers wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use the free MS compiler for the Win32 port. I believe it
>> has better code, but more importantly, it's a different compiler which
>> will help keep the code clean and compliant. Just using one compiler
>> for a "portable" project is slightly non-optimal.
>

> May I suggest Open Watcom instead? http://www.openwatcom.org/
>
> I think you'll find it a lot easier to port BSD source to OW than VC,
> and being a cross-compiler you get other targets (e.g. OS/2) "for free".
> I have an OW makefile for OpenSSL/0.9.7e which would probably get you
> started....

Wow -- Open Watcom looks pretty good. They're even working on a Linux
executable cross-compiler, which could help maintaining compatible sources.

In either case, I would suggest NOT using an IDE. Project files are very
non-portable. Althouh VC is does not have a decent 'make', I find it
quite effective to use Cygwin make to drive the VC compiler. It's a lot
more felxible and reliable, and a much better fit with a cross-platform
project.

Joe Krahn