[Box Backup] autoconf (was Re: 0.08PLUS3)

Nick Knight boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:19:29 -0000

On the win32 port at the mo - it uses perl to generate the autoconf
files needed - kinda badly manually! I think cygwin maybe the best
environment to build the win32 binaries - the make files should also be
able to call and windoze compiler.

This is probably a nice solution - as when you install cygwin it gives
you a complete environment setup for building, where as getting an MS
make environment is always pretty nasty setting up.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk]
On Behalf Of Ben Summers
Sent: 15 December 2004 20:08
To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Box Backup] autoconf (was Re: 0.08PLUS3)

On 8 Dec 2004, at 18:36, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> Ben Summers <ben@fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
>> To be honest, I'm scared at all the changes which will be necessary,
>> and can't see any easy way around the binary / library / test=20
>> structure
>> of the project without lots of scary sub targets.
>
> I'm sure the current directory layouts would not be hard to preserve.=20
> As for
> the way the targets work in the test directories it's quite possible
it
> would be necessary to change how they work currently. I'm sure we=20
> could come
> up with a scheme which would be perfectly functional.
>
> After all, change might be scary, but that doesn't make it bad.

It's more an issue of whether the time might be best spent doing=20
something else.

[snip]
> Having done some more reading, then as I understand it you would need=20
> the
> following cygwin packages on a windows machine only to BUILD an=20
> autoconf'd
> box:
>
> Bourne shell
> GNU M4
> GNU Make
> Perl
>
> You don't need autoconf because that's done by the source packager.
The
> resulting build does not need to have any cygwin dependencies, which=20
> seems
> to be the main criterion.

Yes, I don't mind having Cygwin required to build if the binaries are=20
Win32 native without dependencies.

Might an easier way forward be to use autoconf to detect the platform's=20
requirements and generate the compile lines, then use the existing=20
build system to take these and use them in the generated build scripts?