[Box Backup] Fedora Core 2 install??

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:39:29 +0000

On 31 Dec 2004, at 17:31, Philip Leonard wrote:

> Tried to install boxbackup on a Fedora Core 2 machine but it fails the
> first
> "compiler 1" test.  The machine has GCC-3.3.3 on it.  I know I'm just
> missing something.  What am I missing?

The ./configure command will have output this text:

    You do not appear to have the g++ compiler installed. Please fix and
try again.
    (Tested for C++ compilation and use of standard STL C++ library.)

    Some distributions rename the g++ compiler to something including
the version number,
    and fail to create a symlink to the expected name. Investigate this
if you believe
    you have the C++ compiler installed.

The first thing to do is to check that the gcc C++ compiler package is
installed, and the second is to see if the "g++" executable exists on
your computer.

> BTW, I have it working fine in server and client mode on a few
> UltraSparc
> boxes running Gentoo Linux.

It should just be Fedora being funny about the way it installs things.
It seems to be particularly bad about the way it does everything, but I
suppose it's supposed to be a bleeding edge distribution and users
would be disappointed if there was no pain to go with it.

Ben