[Box Backup] interactive bbackupquery

Juan Vera boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:16:11 +0000

I finally instaled Box Backup on a couple of boxes.
Builing was fine and installation of clients was easy.
Parcels were nice on machines w/o compiler and
bbackupd-config was pretty simple. On one machine
I ran it with args server-hostname working-dir in
the inverse order, I didn't notice it until
the signed cert&rootCA were installed on the client,
and nameserver logs showed queries for a path.mydomain
:)

Exceptions are ugly, yes; but luckily enabling extended
logging was enougth to solve the problems I had.

As a cosmetic note, note upper vs lower 'e':

Feb  5 04:42:44 furia bbackupd[4492]: Exception caught (3/47), reset state and waiting to retry...
Feb  5 04:47:06 furia bbackupd[28683]: exception Server (3/25) -- terminating

What I didn't like was the unfriendly interactive
bbackupquery:

# /usr/local/bin/bbackupquery
Box Backup Query Tool v0.03, (c) Ben Summers 2003, 2004
* Commercial service provision using this software prohibited, see license.
Using configuration file /etc/box/bbackupd.conf
Connecting to store...
Handshake with store...
Login to store...
Login complete.
query > ?
Unrecognised command: ?
query > ls
Unrecognised command: ls
query > help
Unrecognised command: help
query > quit
Logging off...
Session finished.
#

got me back to web page :( there I saw that the
command is 'list'. Would you add 'ls' as an
alias for 'list'? Anyway, readline is nice, and
restoring files was really simple.

New questions: Why It is not recommended that
you backup the {etc,root} directory of your disc?

Is it a technical restriction or just a warning
until the beta stage is done?

How can I force bbackupd to upload changes whenever
I want? Tried with kill -1 but it ignored some
files, I think because of the BackupInterval and/or
MaxUploadWait.

Are you considering to implement server to client
connections? In case you are -and I hope you do-
maybe it would be even better to be able to handle both
ways in the same server simultaneaously: some machines
connecting to the server and the server connecting to
some other. While I don't have that need, I think it
gives some more flexibility to the software.

Resuming: I like Box Backup more now that I tried it
than while it was just docs influence. I think it will
be a new parter :)