[Box Backup] Production use

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:10:01 +0000

On 27 Jan 2004, at 12:38, Eduardo Alvarenga wrote:

>  I'm currently installing a new CVS/Backup server in our corporation.
>  I'm thinking about using boxbackup to replace our poor rsync+scp
>  system. Our boxes are only BSD/Linux based, so no Windows adaptation
>  will be necessary (thank God!). We have about 30 servers, 90%
>  OpenBSD-based.
>
>  Our system is snapshot-based, where every machine connects to the main
>  backup repository at each time, syncing the files using incremental
>  checks, checksums, preserving symlinks and permissions and backing up
>  on a weeekly-directory basis (rsync's 'backup-dir' option) + regex
>  exclusion of sockets and non-backupeable data.
>
>  Will boxbackup suit my needs? Any Pros or Cons?

It will be a bit of a change in how your backups work. Instead of
saying "take a snapshot now" the backup daemon uploads files as it
notice changes, as long as those changes were made a configurable time
ago. Future versions will allow a snapshot based approach in addition
to this behaviour, but for now, you have to be aware that what you
restore is not going to be what was on the disc at a particular moment
in time (if you see what I mean). But you will have all your data
backed up in a timely manner.

Regex exclusion isn't done yet, but is not a big job. If you wanted to
use this seriously, then I'll put it in as a priority item.

Hard links are not handled (multiple copies of the same data would be
made). Symlinks and UNIX attributes are. Checksums are intrinsic to the
system.

You get RAID on your backup server very cheaply and easily if you put
in multiples of three discs.

You probably need a less powerful machine to run the backup server.

>  For the community: What are your impressions about boxbackup? How
>  stable is it until now?

I am taking the very conservative and cautious view that it is not
ready for production machines, as it simply hasn't had enough testing.
However, I would be very glad if people would test it, but I do not
feel I can currently recommend using it as your only means of backup.

However, I am working hard to get to a stage where I can recommend it's
use. It would help me enormously if you would consider running it in
parallel with your existing backup systems, and let me know how it
works out.

Thanks!

Ben