[Box Backup] Debugging boxbackup

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:47:14 +0000

On 28 Jan 2004, at 22:36, Ben Lovett wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:08:53PM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
>> Well it looks to me like the compiler is generating bad code -- the
>> error is deep in the STL, which is nothing at all to do with me.
>>
>> I wonder if you're using the 2.95.x STL with the 3.x compiler?
>>
>> Is there a test suite for g++ you can try out to see if your install
>> is
>> OK?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Is this of any use? Core generated using the "installed" version of
> bbstoreaccounts, dump used with the debugging version..
>
> Core was generated by `bbstoreaccounts'.
> Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
> #0  0x0000000048ab6800 in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0000000048ab6800 in ?? ()
> #1  0x00000000001360e4 in Configuration::LoadAndVerify(char const*,
> ConfigurationVerify const*, std::string&) (Filename=0x0, pVerify=0x0,
> rErrorMsg=@0x0)
>     at Configuration.cpp:144
> #2  0x0000000000136474 in Configuration::LoadAndVerify(char const*,
> ConfigurationVerify const*, std::string&) (Filename=0x0, pVerify=0x0,
> rErrorMsg=@0x0)
>     at Configuration.cpp:179

That's a bit odd, it shouldn't have all zeros as parameters -- possibly
it's not correct as it sounds as if you're using something from one
build with another. You certainly wouldn't see it getting far enough to
recurse if it were the case.

If you build the and run the debug version of bbstoreaccounts under gdb
with

   cd bin/bbstoreaccounts
   make
   cd ../../debug/bin/bbstoreaccounts
   gdb bbstoreaccounts

then in gdb, type

   run -c <configfilename> create 21

for example (with <configfilename> replaced with the config file you're
using). It should then crash, then type

   bt

to see the backtrace, and it should be more accurate.

Ben