[Box Backup] Boxbackup suggestions

Eduardo Alvarenga boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:22:40 -0300 (BRT)

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Ben Summers wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not sure if you mean that?

 As you can see, my english sucks.
 My native language is brazilian portuguese, so please forgive me.

 s/approach/choice/

 Better?

<snip>
> >  When the code is small, everything makes sense. Without
> >  documentation, you might get lost one day and be forced to remember=20
> >  everything you took a long time to develop.
>=20
> Hence the contents of the notes directory, and the vast quantities of
> comments in the source files. With the debug version, it is really
> easy to see what has happened when you get an error. The code is not
> small already.
>=20
> I would very much welcome comments on the code quality, and the
> sustainability of documentation and code.

 I was not judging the code itself. But the software documentation, the=20
 userland stuff.

> >  How about ftp's mget feature? Any possibility to include this?
> >  Or to make things better, implement recursive fetches from
> >  files/directories directly via 'get':
> >
> >  --
> >  get -r remotedir/ localdir/
> >  get rc.* localdir/
> >  get -r foo/bar/* localdir/foo/bar/
> >  --
>=20
> Implemented using the 'restore' command, and it's even restartable=20
> should your transfer get interrupted.

 I'm now getting used to read your 'documentation.txt' files. Sorry.
 But something like "restore rc.* localdir/" already works?

> >  My idea is to make boxbackup a REAL recovery system and not just a
> >  storage where the user might browse thru all their files, like he does
> >  every day on his machine, and fetch any file or directory (even
> >  recursively) like he was connected to a mirrored ftp server.
>=20
> I'm not sure I quite follow.

 Then, show us your proposal.=20

 Best Regards,

 --=20
 Eduardo A. Alvarenga=20
 Analista de Suporte
 Centro Estrat=E9gico Integrado / SEGUP-PA
 (91) 259-0555 / 8116-0036