[Box Backup] windows binaries

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:36:30 +0100

On 17 Jun 2004, at 07:56, Garry Glendown wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>
>> The first experimental Windows version is ready to go.  Please read
>> the
>> included README.txt file for setup instructions.  All of the files are
>> simply placed in the same folder, so there is no "install" to speak
>> of.
>> Also to remove it, simply delete the folder.
>> It has only been tested on Windows 2000.  Please let me know if you
>> have
>> any luck with other Windows versions.
>> *** You will still need access to a Unix type machine with BoxBackup
>> installed to generate your key files. ***

Firstly, my thanks for Adrian for packaging up the Windows binaries!

> Adrian, good job! Tnx a lot! Running my first Winblows backup of my
> 2000   desktop ... 1.2gigs saved ... :)
>
> One minor addition for the readme: You forgot to mention the
> serverCA.pem - needn't that also be coppied to the Windows machine? I
> didn't try to run it without it ...
>
> One problem I seem to have - I got these error messages:
>
> Jun 17 08:16:07 collector bbstored[22656]: Failed to get write lock
> (for Client ID 00002001)
> Jun 17 08:16:07 collector bbstored[22656]: in server child, exception
> Connection TLSReadFailed (Probably a network issue between client and
> server.) (7/34) -- terminating child

You will see this error when two bbackup processes are attempting to
use the same account on a server. Check that you haven't got two
processes running on your client (and aren't doing anything like trying
to share an account between two machines).

> bbackupd re-connects after that and continues the save process, though
> ... any idea? Could that be files like ntuser.dat or the likes, which
> Windows keeps open all the time?

No. If there are problems reading files on the client side, you'll see
messages in the client logs.

> Also, noticed the cursor key history on the query process doesn't work

readline support isn't used by the cygwin port.

Ben