[Box Backup] Location change question

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:47:48 +0100

On 25 Jun 2004, at 14:34, J=E9r=F4me Schell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Question about BackupLocations change in bbackupd.conf file.
> If a user wants to change his backup locations like this:
> Old locations:
> BackupLocations
> {
>      home-jerome-myrep
>      {
>         Path =3D /home/jerome/myrep
>      }
>      home-jerome-rep2
>      {
>         Path =3D /home/jerome/rep2
>      }
> }
>
> New Locations:
> BackupLocations
> {
>      home-jerome-myotherrep
>      {
>         Path =3D /home/jerome/myotherrep
>      }
>      home-jerome-rep2
>      {
>         Path =3D /home/jerome/rep2
>      }
> }
>
> If we suppose that the user's store on the server is almost already=20
> full, bbackupd won't be able to upload the "myotherrep" location as=20
> bbstored will wait for 2 days before deleting the old location=20
> "myrep".
> I think this delay of 2 days is very good, but for that particular=20
> situation, it is perhaps not, as the user will have to wait for 2 days=20=

> before his data are really uploaded (this is just an exemple to=20
> illustrate, I think he should have change just the Path instead of=20
> also changing the name of the location, but imagine a directory is=20
> getting bigger very fast and he wants to stop saving a location to=20
> have enough space for that directory...).
> So my question is :): couldn't it be possible to respect these 2 days=20=

> of delay only if there is enough space in the store (in fact as it is=20=

> done for old revisions and deleted files)? This could be an optionnal=20=

> feature activated by an option in the bbackupd.conf file.

Sounds complex for a fairly unusual scenario -- and I think the=20
behaviour should be consistent and not alter based on other parameters.=20=

How about I add a configuration option to allow the user to change the=20=

2 days to a length of time of their choice?

I don't really see this as a priority, though. And more options mean=20
more testing...

Ben