[Box Backup] 0.06PLUS2 verdict

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:12:32 +0100

Thanks for the all the testing and comments.

I'm going to make a few minor changes (including allowing "-c" for
daemons), test on all platforms, and then release it as 0.07.

I am aware that there are issues with the bbackupd daemon not
terminating properly in response to signals. It was designed to work on
servers which were never switched off, but it's very much apparent that
people are using it on computers which are frequently turned off.
Unfortunately, the design doesn't really support clean terminating
while it is connected, as I didn't think it was necessary.

I will make these changes, but would prefer not to do so just before a
release as it touches a lot of code to do it properly. I don't like
doing things badly. Since 0.06PLUS2 includes useful changes and fixes,
especially compilation on SuSE 9.x, I'd like to get it out ASAP.

In the meantime, you can safely shut down bbackupd with a script which
does

1) Send normal termination signal
2) Waits 5 seconds
3) Sends a -9 signal if the daemon is still active.

I suspect I will also implement serialisation of the in-memory state to
disc, so you can switch the machine off and not lose state, or indeed
run bbackupd as a cron job.

Anyway, thanks for all the testing and support, your help is invaluable.

Ben