[Box Backup] server management

Mitja Muženič boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 21 May 2004 12:00:41 +0200

Hi!

I'm following Box Backup development with interest - I think it has a lot of
potential. As I was considering possible real-life usage I came to two
scenarios that eventually turn out to be the same problem - how to
synchronize/manage multiple bb stores.

1. bbstored on a laptop. If I add a new remote site to bb, it could be
faster to go on site, do an initial backup to a laptop, bring the data with
me and then import/migrate it to the main store. Afterwards, all the deltas
can go over the wire since the bulk of data is already in the main store.

2. multiple stores. For additional safety margin I'm thinking of having two
physically separate servers (as in diferent cities) running bbstored. They
could accept backups round-robin-style or one serve as primary, the other as
backup store. Again, the issue here is how to make the data on both server
in sync.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Regards, Mitja