[Box Backup] Possible problem

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 31 May 2004 09:42:48 +0100

On 28 May 2004, at 14:00, rprice@freeshell.org wrote:

>> The server looks fine, and the logs show it and the client behaving as
>> it should. However, the deleted files thing I can't really check out
>> --
>> can you send me the directory name (type pwd) and listing for both the
>> filesystem and the directory store so I can compare them?
>
> I'm getting the following error message in my logs:
>
> May 27 22:40:15 server bbackupd[1910]: Exceeded storage limits on
> server
> -- not uploading changes to files
>
> I received this for many days, but I've been too busy to look into it
> until now.

That would be because you had too much stuff stored on the server. It
kept on logging in to check, as the housekeeping on the server might
have reduced the space used.

It is completely normal to get these messages repeated until the size
is reduced, as happens in your logs.

>> I would point out that just over half your storage allocation is taken
>> up with deleted files, and about a quarter by old versions. Is this
>> plausible? Perhaps housekeeping hasn't needed to really delete
>> anything
>> from the store?
>
> My concern was why it was telling me I was out of space, when my file
> usage should have been back down to what it was before.

It looks as if everything worked properly. If there had been a bug
which prevented bbackupd from deleting files until it had been
restarted, these files would have been deleted on the first time it
connected to the server after restarting. From your logs, it took two
connections in the store full state before there was enough space,
suggesting that this wasn't a problem.

>> Remember that the deleted file flag is 'X' in the listings.
>>
>> I think it's fine, to be quite honest.
>
> Well you would certainly know better than me.
>

> I have attached two syslog files that I ran through grep to extract
> just
> the bbackupd entries.
>
> The part where it gets the "SSL err during Load certificates:", was
> probably just after I upgraded to version 6 and forgot to put sudo in
> front of the command  when I ran something. For sure I noticed it
> talking
> about removing the redundant location after I switched to version 6.
>
> I had also deleted more files last night, I'm not sure if it was a
> significant amount. It looks like the problem went away after I started
> using version 6.
>
> The redundant location did not have any files in it AFAIK, but I
> probably
> did not check correctly. I think it was there for quite some time, and
> AFAIK wasn't causing any problems.

bbackupd waits a couple of days before doing anything in any case.

Thanks for the problem report... but the logs suggest correct
operation, and there isn't really enough information to trace what's
happening in detail (no extended logs or history of what happened to
the file system).

Has anyone else had any problems with stores becoming full?

Ben