[Box Backup] Couple of first time user questions

Chris Hane boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:26:15 -0600

--=======3F86EFA=======

I have just started to look at modernizing our backup solution as we move
from windows servers to Linux servers.  Currently we are backing up around
200+ GB to tape.  We are looking to move away from tape.  I like what I
have read of boxbackup so far even though I just started to play around
with boxbackup.  I have a couple of quick questions if you would indulge me.

- When I read through the docs, they show how to configure the RAID array
and the config file name is raidfile.conf.  I'm assuming this is
raidtools?  We are just now experimenting with RAID and was thinking of
using the mdadm (Linux).  Will boxbackup work with mdadm or will it only
work with the version of RAID supported by raidtools?  Also, is there a
difference as too which RAID level is used?  3?  5?

- I read through the several of the past emails and wanted to ask about the
current thoughts around Primary/Secondary backup servers.  I would very
much like to have two different physical machines (separate locations) for
disaster recovery.

- In the interim until Primary/Secondary support is added to boxbackup, is
there another solution that can be used to backup the backup?  I remember
reading something about being able to use rsync.....

As a note, our environment when fully rolled out will be:
- 3 file servers (200+ GB) (this is what we are experimenting with first
for different backup solutions)
- 1 production application server (30-50 GB)
- 20-30 desktops (windows based so will be waiting for the windows client
port :)
- 5-10 laptops (windows also)
- 5 Mac OSX machines

Thanks for your indulgence,