[Box Backup] Boxbackup Installation Procedures for Fedora Core 2 & Windows Clients

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:42:32 +0000

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 15:03, ken wrote:
> Here is an installation procedure for boxbackup on Fedora Core 2 and for
> Windows Clients using the new Windows client.
>
> http://mybizguard.com/linux/backups/boxbackup.txt
>
> Hope it helps some and gets more people using boxbackup.

Ken,

This could be streamlined a bit. These steps are unnecessary; rpmbuild
works straight from the tarball:

  cd /downloads/boxbackup

  tar -zxvf boxbackup-0.08.tgz

  cd /downloads/boxbackup/boxbackup-0.08/contrib/rpm

If Ben could update the 0.08 tarball with the last RPM patch then the
adduser would be unnecessary too. There's a couple of other bugs it
fixes too, so is worthwhile. If not, then do the adduser like so
instead:

  useradd -c "Box Backup" -u 171 -s /sbin/nologin -r -d /var/empty box

I wouldn't bother installing the debuginfo RPM unless you get crashing
problems. It's only useful in the case of stack traces or debugger
usage.

These should not be needed, the RPM should be doing it. If not, then
please let me know:

  chown -R box /etc/box/bbstored
  chmod -R go-rwx /etc/box/bbstored

This is not necessary:

  vi /etc/services

  Add the following at about line 369:
  boxbackup       2201/tcp                        # boxbackup
  boxbackup       2201/udp                        # boxbackup

  Save and close this file.

Likewise, we aren't using xinetd and so don't need to restart it:

  Restart xinetd
  /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

The other thing is that it's not always clear which bits need to be done
on the client and which on the server. eg. There's no need to install
the -client RPM on the server.

In your example you appear to be backing up the home directories back to
the home partition again - probably not the best thing to do! Probably
under /mnt or /srv would be the best places to put the backup
destination.

Looking good though. Probably less intimidating than Ben's fully
comprehensive documentation. :)

Cheers,

Martin.