[Box Backup] limit question

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:16:54 +0000

On 23 Nov 2004, at 08:48, Sitkei Attila wrote:

> Sorry to disturb the List with the similar topic, but I observed some
> oddities:
>
> the server runs linux, she says:
>
> teflon@bmargit:~$ df -h
> /dev/hda1             465M  184M  257M  42% /
> /dev/hda3              74G   68G  3.2G  96% /data
>
> and:
>
> teflon@bmargit:~$ sudo bbstoreaccounts info 233
>                  Account ID: 00000233
>              Last object ID: 267178
>                 Blocks used: 34814915 (67997.88Mb)
>    Blocks used by old files: 1573153 (3072.56Mb)
> Blocks used by deleted files: 8656077 (16906.40Mb)
>  Blocks used by directories: 27196 (53.12Mb)
>            Block soft limit: 34816000 (68000.00Mb)
>            Block hard limit: 36352000 (71000.00Mb)
>         Client store marker: 1101196553000000
>
> which means all allowed space is used by the client.

Clients will tend to use all the allowed space if you give them long
enough.

> Past day I changed the limits in order to evade run-off of space on
> the server. Now I got mails about `Files are not being backed up',

Unfortunately, at the moment it doesn't send you another email when it
starts again. Check the logs to see what it's actually doing. I think
you'll find it is uploading more data.

>  but I expected to see, as far as I recall, the lowering of amount of
> data marked as deleted and old in favour of new. Will this happen
> after a specified time? If so, then I do not see any reason for this
> way of operation, as I tend to keep newly uploaded data more important
> than the older or deleted ones.

I think it's working as designed. bbackupd will upload more data (until
the hard limit), then bbstored's housekeeping process will try and
reduce it to below the soft limit. Which it has done (check the server
logs for information on how much data it's deleting). Remember that
blocks used includes the old files, deleted files, and the directories.

It would be interesting to see what the logs say on the client, and the
output of the account info over time. But with the limited information
I've got here, it looks OK.

Ben