[Box Backup] Problems with cygwin

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:36:47 -0800

On 11/29/04 2:33 AM, Ben Summers wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2004, at 23:40, Per Thomsen wrote:
>
>> On 11/27/04 9:10 AM, Ben Summers wrote:
>

>>> If a directory is modified on the client, it will request a list of
>>> that directory from the server until it has uploaded the files.
>>> This  might mean it's requested once an hour with the default
>>> settings, for  up to six hours. Might this be it?
>>>
>>> Or if the client is a fileserver, and one of it's clients has a
>>> clock  which is wildly out of sync, it might be downloading the
>>> directories  all the time. Check the client logs for warnings about
>>> huge offsets,  but, say, a 12 hour offset won't provoke the warning
>>> but continual  filesystem write activity by that fileserver client
>>> will result in more  queries to the server.
>>>
>>> But as usual, a look at the logs will give more clarity over what's
>>> happening.
>>

>> I looked at the logs, and here's what I've found: The two wayward
>> clients are connecting every 5 minutes and 10 seconds (+/- 3
>> seconds), rather than every hour as their config files dictate.
>

> I can't think of any reason for that behaviour.
>

>> Your explanation about the higher transmission rates makes sense, if
>> the clients are constantly requesting the directory information from
>> the server. The connection takes between 2 and 4 minutes, so there is
>> always at least one client connected to the server. Hence the
>> constant bandwidth drain.
>>
>> I won't have access to the client machines until tomorrow (they are
>> at 2 different companies that won't be open until Monday), but I will
>> look at the Windows event logs for them to see if I can glean any
>> more information from them.
>>
>> My suspicion is that one of two things is happening:
>> 1. There is a bug in the 0.08 cygwin client, which causes this
>> behavior. My bandwidth use changed after I installed the 0.08 cygwin
>> client. I installed the 0.08h win32 client on a Windows machine here,
>> and observed no problems like what I'm seeing with the cygwin client.
>> The cygwin client on this machine had done the 'every-5-minute' thing
>> before that as well.
>

> I have never run the cygwin client. I'm afraid I can't really help on
> this. Looking at the logs may show something interesting, and perhaps
> someone else who does run it can help?

I looked at the logs today, but because bbackupd is running as a Windows
Service, reading the logs is decidedly difficult (Windows Gurus: is
there a plain text file to read the 'Event Log'?), and I didn't see
anything weird. I will start it as a regular process tomorrow, and see
if I can get some more information from those logs.

Does anyone else run the cygwin 0.08 client? Are you seeing anything
similar?

>> 2. The new versions of the client somehow has permission problems
>> with the /var/bbackupd directory. I will be checking into that
>> tomorrow. If bbackupd is unable to touch the 'last_sync_start' file,
>> I can see how this can happen. last_sync_start never gets a more
>> recent timestamp, and bbackupd will continually try to touch the
>> file, and re-connect.
>

> These timestamps are for information only. The client does not use
> them for timing information. This won't be the problem.

OK. That didn't seem to be the problem anyway. The files were properly
updated.

>> I'm going to be switching to the Win32 clients anyway, so this may be
>> a moot point for me (if it is cygwin-related), but I wanted to make
>> sure that something wasn't being missed.
>

> I would like to know why it's doing this, in case it's a problem with
> some of the non-cygwin code.

OK. I'll see what I find tomorrow.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561