[Box Backup] Box Backup in IBM Linux on POWER contest

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:10:38 +0100

On 13 Oct 2004, at 09:41, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 08:18, Ben Summers wrote:
>> Box Backup is in "Tier 2", which means the prize is a shiny new Apple
>> Mac, and I get a shiny new iPod mini for "judging" any ports --
>> apparently regardless of whether anyone submits a port or not. All
>> very
>> strange.
>>
>> Annoyingly, Martin appears to be in the UK, so his work on 64bit-ness
>> can't help him get the prize.
>
> Marvellous. A .com domain would be no trouble, and maybe even a US
> postal address at a push... ;)
>
> Such an exclusion by a big international company is very disappointing,
> especially when open source (and even more so Linux!) is so
> international, and indeed, the exclusion obviously doesn't apply to the
> maintainers...

I was unimpressed by this too, and nothing has ever said it's not
US-only for maintainers so I might turn out to ineligible too. Maybe if
enough people write in and complain they'll change it, but I doubt it.
All they're doing is getting lots of people to port stuff to their new
servers without actually spending very much money, so opening it to
everyone is probably too much effort or something.

>> Hopefully this will be a nice bit of publicity for the project. Being
>> 9th in the list makes it quite visible.
>
> Although admittedly only on an alphabetical basis. :)

It makes me happier to believe it's in order of merit, with the
alphabetical nature being a strange coincidence.

Ben