Win32 Client port was: Re: [Box Backup] traffic statistics

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:41:35 +0100 (BST)

Hi Rick,

> I don't represent a commercial backup interest, but why are you worried
> about a commerical venture using it?

I don't mind people running commercial backup services. What I would mind
is if a company was to use the code to create a commercial, closed-source
product, with some improvements or modifications. I want to see those
improvements back in the open-source version.

> The larger the market, the better for software, because it will attract
> more users and third party plugins.

Not always. A closed fork could well take a big chunk of market share with
better advertising and support, and easily make their product incompatible
with any plugins developed for ours. I don't want that to happen, or at
least, I want to relicense it to them and I want a cut :-) Other
developers may not allow me to do that with their contributions in the
source, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

> The BSD license gives users more options, which really, is what it should
> be about.

Personally I feel that it's too weak a license for an open source project,
and I wouldn't use it on any code that I develop myself or have a really
serious time input to. I'm not doing this for the love of coding, I'm
doing it because I want to write free software that stays free and stays
alive (and also because I need it, but if I was going to do it closed
source and for money, it would be for work, not a hobby).

> Anyway, that's my opinion.

And you're very welcome to it :-)

> BTW what language are you programming the GUI in?

In C++. I would use Java, with which I'm more familiar, but it just isn't
fast enough for me, and I couldn't take advantage of the code that Ben has
already written for dealing with the server (in bbackupd). And speed,
integrated look and feel, and native integration (Win32 services) aren't
Java's strongest points :-)