[Box Backup] multiple Path and/or ExcludeDir

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 22:13:09 +0100

On 1 Sep 2004, at 21:46, dctester@freestart.hu wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 07:31:09PM +0100, Ben Summers wrote:
>
>> I recommend you create separate entries for each directory within the
>> root directory that you want to back up. You really do not want to
>> have
>> mount points within these directories, which you do at the moment.
>
> Hello Ben,
>
> Finally I changed configuration to this:
>
> BackupLocations
> {
>         bin
>         {
>                 Path = /bin
>         }

[snip]

>         usr
>         {
> 		Path = /usr
>         }
>         var
>         {
>                 Path = /var
>         }
> }
>
> Working perfectly. Thanks your advice!

That is my recommended configuration.

I really must write the code which detects that your backup locations
span mount points. And also stops /proc being backed up on Linux!

I meant to reply to your previous post (I'm in the process of moving
house at the moment, so things are difficult). I presume you changed
the config file and then sent a -HUP signal to bbackupd. This was
probably in the middle of backing up the contents of your computer's
memory and processes from /proc, which would have taken a while, and it
will have postponed the restart until it had finished a few files. So
you wouldn't have noticed anything changing for quite a while,
explaining why you didn't see things working.

While I think the core backup engine of Box Backup works very nicely,
there are a few bits around it which need a some work before version
1.00 can be reached. Thanks for all your patience.

Ben