[Box Backup] Working towards 0.08

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:17:25 +0100

Hi

It's been a while since I did a release, and there's the new storage
system on the server which I should really get out there. I have been a
bit preoccupied with buying a flat and then moving in to it to avoid
impending homelessness, which wasn't a terribly fun episode, and has
delayed things a bit.

Some of you are running the 0.07PLUS3 version, and I haven't heard any
complaints. We do need to check that it can restore files successfully
though. So, could you

1) Try a compare command in bbackupquery to check that the latest
versions are correct. (Nothing very much changed with regard to latest
versions, so I would be very surprised if this didn't work -- but I
would like to be reassured.)

2) Old versions can be stored as patches. Firstly, find a small file
with multiple versions (use list with the -o option to list old
versions) and see if a previous version can be fetched, and is correct.
Then find a large one with multiple versions, which has had several
small changes in the past. Use list with the -os options to display old
versions, and the server storage requirements. If the sizes for old
versions are much smaller than you'd expect when compared with the
latest version, they're stored as patches. Try fetching a few, and
checking their contents.

I have been keeping an eye on my own installations, but they're all
under OpenBSD and my preferred way of installing things, so I do need
success reports from others.

Is there anything else which should definitely go in? I'd prefer to do
small changes, and then larger work after the release of 0.08.

Thanks for your help and support.

Ben