[Box Backup] Checking that bbackupd's are backing up?

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:46:25 -0700

I would like to build in some centralized tracking of all my clients, to
make sure that they are running, and backing things up. This would allow
me to hunt down any clients that were shut down, or failed to restart
after a reboot...

Rather than distributing software to all clients, I would like to be
able to do this on the bbstored server. I've been thinking along the
lines of log-parsing, but then I looked at the output of
'bbstoreaccounts info'. The first 10 digits of the 'Client Store Marker'
looks remarkably like a time(2) return value. Would it be safe to assume
that the time stamp denotes the last time a file was uploaded from the
client?

If so, this would be a good (IMO) way to check that a client has backed
*something* up in the last x seconds, and warning me if not.

If people have other (and better) ways of doing this, I'd love to hear
about them.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 415 425 4025