[Box Backup] Suggested change in behaviour

Adrian boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:13:07 -0700 (MST)

> I agree about the e-mail though. And I think that the tag feature could
> help this problem. Suppose that you setup the client so that it tags the
> store with the date (200X-XX-XX) at the end of each day. Right after you
> notice the death of your drive, you flag today's tag as read-only.
Herehousekeeping
> the e-mail could remind you that something weird is happening.

I think that Pascal may be on to something here.  Perhaps an added feature
of bbackupquery could be to set the "restore date".  For example:  Today
is Monday.  I discover that something bad happened to my data on Saturday
(file modified, accidentally deleted, drive crash, etc).  I set the
restore date in bbackupquery to Friday, and restore the affected file,
directory, or mount point.  Bbackupquery ignores changes to the data that
occured after Friday, and restores things to the way they were on Friday.
Problem solved.

I think that as it stands, all of the data is there to do this.  Between
old versions and deleted versions, I should be able to go back to any
date, until the houskeeping function starts really deleting files on the
server.

The server would have to keep track of how far back it could go (to report
to bbackupquery).  As it does the housekeeping, it would need to determine
the earliest date for which it has a complete backup set (And perhaps
adjust its deletion logic a little to optimize?).  More server space would
allow the client to go further back in time.

Does this make sense?

Adrian