[Box Backup] USB sticks (was: Suggested change in behaviour)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:24:47 +0100

On 20 Sep 2004, at 15:30, Richard Eigenmann wrote:

> What about the situation where the user has a USB stick and would like
> it's contents to be backed up too whenever the stick happens to be
> plugged into the computer but sometimes it is not? Under SuSE I've seen
> such devices receiving hard to remember names and am not sure they get
> the same name every time you plug it in (can't really say since they
> were hard to remember). But this is going off topic.

I suggest a little script which monitors when the stick is plugged in
(seeing what the USB daemon is doing), then when it's mounted uses
rsync to mirror all the data on the hard disc somewhere.

Ben