[Box Backup] Suggested change in behaviour

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:24:32 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

First post, please don't flame me too bad, yadda yadda :-)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Pascal Lalonde wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I believe that letting the server
> decide when to erase what is a bad idea.
>
> Or at least there should be a way to tell the server, through the
> client, never to erase anything without being told to.

I agree with this. The client decides voluntarily not to exceed the soft
limit of storage space. It could also decide, according to a policy set by
its owner, when to delete expired copies of data. One such policy might be
to retain copies of deleted files for 7 days, in which case you would be
safe as long as:

- you realised your mistake soon enough
- the feature to restore to a previous date (sim-tag) was implemented
- deletion-date was versioned as well, so that the client knows that the
  files were not deleted on the requested date, but later.