[Box Backup] Suggested change in behaviour

richard_eigenmann boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:27:05 +0200

That's an interesting point that you use inodes. I had the mental image that
you use hash codes of files or perhaps hash codes of blocks of files to
determine what needs to be backed up (for no good reason of course).

The use of inodes explains why I have seen whole directories of pictures
being re-backed up after I copied them around and deleted the original
location after I was happy that everything had been rearranged properly.

The Netstore software I used previously must have had some sort of hash code
over parts of files because it built up a rather large table of data. It
wouldn't complain too bitterly about that table being wiped but would spend
time and perhaps bandwith to re-create it.

Regards,
Richard