[Box Backup] Your help is requested!

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:15:33 +0100

On 22 Sep 2004, at 01:51, Pascal Lalonde wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I feel like I'm doing something *really* stupid here. I'll assume
> anything that comes at me after this question:
>
> How can I redirect bbackupquery's output (compare -a) to a file??
>
> I know I already did it once, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
>
> Here's what I do:
> bbackupquery "compare -a" quit > /tmp/compare.log
>
> This works:
> bbackupquery ls quit > /tmp/compare.log
>
> When I try to follow the file with tail -f, nothing shows up.
>
> Yesterday, after my full compare, I found my compare.log to be empty.
> Yet when I'm not redirecting to a file, it seems to work fine.
>
> Now, what am I doing wrong? Can someone try it and tell me how it goes?
>
> Same behavior on both OpenBSD 3.5 i386 and Gentoo i386.

That is very strange. Having the quoted command won't affect anything
bbackupquery does. Perhaps it's a weird shell thing?

What if you create a script

#!/bin/sh
bbackupquery "compare -a" quit

and then redirect the output of the script instead?

You aren't falling foul of any automated /tmp clearing cron jobs, are
you?

Ben