[Box Backup] BoxBackup Server Side Management Specs (Draft0.01)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:33:35 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I second the call for duplicate file detection :-)

> > But then, at the moment a nice frontend for M$-users might be of a
> > slightly higher importance ...
>
> Yes, there does seem to be a lot of demand for a Win32 version!

I'm about to start working on this. Feature requests please? My current
list stands at:

No server version (use Linux dammit :-)

For the client bbackupd:

* registry backups
* open file backups
* support for drive letters
* backup Windows attributes and file permissions
* native non-Cygwin compile
* operation as a service (done already in 0.0.8?)
* socket/pipe interface to GUI administrator

New GUI admin tool:

* start/stop/restart bbackupd
* monitor status of bbackupd, using socket interface
* overview status page (for dummies)
* detailed status page:
** scanning/sending/waiting
** status of each file (last backup date, reason for not backing up if any)
* GUI view of server (disk space used, files stored)
* restore and compare GUI
* configuration GUI (what to back up, lazy/standard, min and max age)

I'm planning a GUI tool written in wxWindows, so it would run both on
Windows and Linux, and hopefully MacOS X if/when that becomes a supported
platform for boxbackup?

I could definitely use some help on this project, if anyone is up for it
:-)