[Box Backup] BoxWin using Mapped Network drives

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:10:10 +0100

On 11 Apr 2005, at 09:12, Nick Knight wrote:

> I will look into this - I did try it myself and it never worked, mainly
> because of the mapped drive bit - but there is no reason why it should
> have access to the files required.
>
> Ben stated that on Unix you shouldn't backup mount points -

I didn't say that. I said that you shouldn't backup directories which
include mount points at any depth. For example, if you have mounts at

   /
   /usr
   /home
   /var
   /var/log

feel free to have backup locations at

   /usr
   /home
   /var/log

but don't do / or /var, because they contain mountpoints. / is "bad
twice" because it includes /usr, /home, /var AND /var/log.

However, you can use ExcludeDir directives to not backup the offending
mount points, and everything is fine.

>  which I
> guess includes this type of thing - the file maybe available but I am
> not sure what the ability to perform stats on network files are.

If it behaves like a local filing system, everything is fine. It
depends on your OS support.

Programs usually have problems with network filesystems because they
can't lock files properly. This is not an issue with bbackupd.

> I am not promising anything but I will try to find some time to test
> this out.

It is annoy to have to work... :-(

Ben