[Box Backup] Restarting the server

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:30:47 -0700

On 4/17/05 9:42 PM, Jammer wrote:

>Hi
>
>Apologies if this has been answered on the list or in the web docs but I
>haven't been able to find the answer...
>Is it possible to do a "kill -HUP"  on the server to get it to re-read its
>configuration or do I have to shut it down and restart ?
>
>Will this have any implications on the connected clients ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Jammer,
A cursory scan of the server source, tells me that 'kill -1' (or HUP)
will cause the config file to be re-read. I'm not sure about the
implications to connected clients. Box is very resilient to disconnects,
etc. so it's probably not a problem, unless the account was deleted or
something like that.

However, there are some config changes that can have pretty far-reaching
consequencees... Just as an example, I honestly don't know what will
happen if you change the disc set for an account, and then kill -HUP the
server.

I'm sure Ben can shed some light on that.

My $0.02,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561