[Box Backup] Boxwin Client activity

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:22:23 -0700

On 4/20/05 12:30 AM, Gary wrote:

>>This one client has a big file (~140M) that changes a lot (it's their
>>accounting file). bbackupd appears to be timing out while diffing it
>>(but not discovering the timeout), and losing the connection to the
>>server.
>>

>Yes, that's exactly what happens, but the problem should be limited to
>Cygwin and Win32 only.

Yeah, this is on Windows.

>I have patched the Cygwin client (Nick will be
>releasing a modified Win32 sometime later on)

There is a 'test' release out (0.09g) at

http://boxbugs.omniis.com/boxwin0.09g.exe

>, but that solves the
>problem only partially. Even though the fixed MaximumDiffingTime timer
>will make your backups complete successfully, the setting cannot be
>longer than an SSL session/connection timeout (usually around 300
>seconds?). Effectively, if you have large files around 500MB that
>change a lot, you will be re-uploading almost the whole thing every
>time (not enough time to diff the hell out of it).

One thing that impacts this as well, is the speed of the connection
between the server and client. My client that is experiencing this
repeated connect cycle, is on a 192kbps connection to my server.

> I am currently
>working on a keep-alive patch for bbackupd, but running into some walls
>for the moment.

That's great!

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561