[Box Backup] Future development plan

Jonathan Morton boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:36:41 +0100

> I propose:
>
> * Set up SVN repository. Import 0.09 + my minor modifications
>
> * Add in the following code in branches:
>     - Win32 port (Nick)
>     - Solaris port (Martin)
>     - Autoconf, 64 bit stuff, etc (LinuxOnPower) (Martin)
>     - Optimised diffing (Jonathan)
>     - (anything I've forgotten?)
> trying to keep different changes in different branches.

Seems reasonable.

> * Has everyone got enough time to get this done?

It may be slow at my end, but I can get things done.

> * Will people put up with my insistence on the style of the code being
> consistent?

Consistent code style is a good idea, although I think yours is
slightly different from mine...

> * Where should the SVN repository live? (Sourceforge don't provide
> one, but there are a few "free" providers listed. I might set up a
> repository on one of my servers, however.)

No idea about this.

> * What do we do about the license, and who holds the copyright?

> I use the various libraries to build other private projects, and I'd
> quite like to be able to bring changes into my own code. I have a
> preference for the BSD license, because BSD licensed projects have
> been so helpful to me in the past. But apart from that, I have no
> strong feelings either way.

For "private" projects, which are never released, the licence doesn't
matter at all (unless it's an EULA that prohibits reverse-engineering
or something stupid like that - and even that's debatable).  The GPL
specifically encourages this kind of code sharing.

The only problem would be if you wanted to take some of the modified
code and use it in a commercial project.  Then you'd either need to
stipulate to your customer that the result will be released under the
GPL, or ensure you have the right to use all the relevant code in a
closed-source project, or go back to your original code that you own
yourself.

One solution would be to gather all "library type" code under an LGPL
licence, which encourages code-sharing but does not preclude use in a
commercial, closed-source project.  Not everyone will be happy with
this, but I would hazard that it's the same set of people who would be
unhappy with simply assigning copyright.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
mail:     chromi@chromatix.demon.co.uk
website:  http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/