[Box Backup] Future development plan

Charles Lecklider boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:19:41 +0100

Ben Summers wrote:

> As briefly discussed, I think we need to move to a more collaborative
> development process to take the project forward properly.
>
> I propose:
>
> * Set up SVN repository. Import 0.09 + my minor modifications

Have you considered Perforce? Being an Open Source project Perforce will
give you a free licence (see
<http://www.perforce.com/perforce/opensource-faq.html>), and without
wishing to start a "my SCM is better than your SCM" war, IMHO it is
better than SVN ;-)  If finding something to run Perforce on is an issue
I can do that here.

I think moving to some sort of SCM is a great idea. I've threatened to
do some work on the Win32 side a couple of times, but never seem to have
quite enough time to do the work and explain the changes well enough
that e.g. Nick can see the point; SCM would solve that for me.

As for coding style, I simply assumed that it would need to follow the
existing code. I don't see it working any other way.  Tabs have been
raised as an issue, and while I prefer tabs over spaces, I think the key
issue is consistency. If the existing source uses tabs then I suggest
that the style guide says clearly that "tabs are X spaces big, changes
that don't match that will be reverted".

As for the license, I'd rather put my code under the existing BSD one. I
don't much care about attribution - there'll be a list of contributors
someplace I'm sure, that's good enough. Again, without wishing to start
a war, either the code is going to be Free, or it isn't; BSD is, GPL isn't.

I think that covers all the major points....

-C