[Box Backup] monitoring bbackupd

Alex Howansky boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:48:31 -0500 (CDT)

I've got BoxBackup clients running on about a dozen servers and I'm finding
that bbackupd dies every once in a while on one or another of them. While I
suppose that in itself is a bug, what I'm really looking for is a way to be
able to tell (from a remote server) if that has happened. I've got an existing
centralized monitoring system and I was hoping to avoid installing some other
local monitoring system on each machine. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do a
remote connect to bbackupd over a TCP/IP port, but seems that bbackupd uses
sockets only. Any ideas?

I suppose alternatively, that I could use daemontools to keep bbackupd running.
Does anybody know offhand if fghack works ok in this case? Or is there maybe an
undocumented switch on bbackupd to prevent it from backgrounding?

Alex Howansky
Wankwood Associates
http://wankwood.com/