[Box Backup] Box backup and rotating media

Eelco Jepkema boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:12:19 +0100

Hi all,

I would like to use Box backup for backing up a couple of linux servers
in a work environment. We are currently using a Tape Drive that rotates
the tapes daily. The tapes are then taken off-site by someone to ensure
backups are available in the case of fire or other unforseen events.

However, the Tape drive has been giving us some problems lately and
resolving those under the warranty has proven to take a lot of time.
Therefor I'd like to (possibly temporarily) backup my servers to a
couple of external IDE disks (USB) and take those off-site after
work hours.

In order to be able to do this I have to set up a backup rotation of at
least 2 different Harddisks. This will then allow me to make a nightly
snapshot backup and have the other drive safely at home. Backing up
during work hours is unfortunately not really an option because of the
strain it would put on the network and filesystems.

To make a long story short, or actually, I'm making a short story long,
I would like to know wether backing up to multiple locations/media is on
the short term agenda for Box backup, or wether there is a workaround
for my specific situation.

Thanks in advance,
Eelco Jepkema