[Box Backup] Box backup and rotating media

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:36:19 +0000

On 1 Dec 2005, at 10:33, Eelco Jepkema wrote:

> * Stefan Norlin <stefan.norlin@infoflexconnect.se> [2005-12-01 11:22]:
>>> A better solution might be to let bbackupd backup to a single store
>>> on a server, and rsync it to the external discs to take it off site.
>>
>> We use it like this. Running Box Backup in snapshot mode and sync:ing
>> the data at a time when there is no activity. A great solution for
>> us.
>
> Thank you (and Ben) for the quick response! This seems like a workable
> solution.
>
> I have a couple of followup questions though, regarding this solution.
> Please keep in mind that at the moment I have no idea how Box
> backup and
> rsync work so these questions might sound a bit silly to you.
>
> Suppose I've got this setup and have a server with the backup
> daemon and
> the rsync (cron job?) that stores the files on the external disks.
> Now a
> fire breaks out at the office and _all_ hardware is fried. I only have
> the external harddisk with yesterdays backup on it. How am I now going
> to restore this backup and get things up and running as fast as
> possible?
>
> In other words, is there a sort of Box backup database that is stored
> along with the backup and can be used by a freshly installed Box
> backup
> tool to extract the data?

The "database" is the store on the server.

> And is this true even if I've used rsync along
> the way

Yes. It's just a load of files.

> or do I need to take additional steps?

You need to keep the encryption keys from the client.

Read the documentation on the web site or wiki, let us know what we
need to improve if it doesn't answer your questions.

Ben