[Box Backup] Box backup and rotating media

Eelco Jepkema boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:02:29 +0100

* Ben Summers <ben@fluffy.co.uk> [2005-12-01 11:37]:
> You need to keep the encryption keys from the client.
>
> Read the documentation on the web site or wiki, let us know what we
> need to improve if it doesn't answer your questions.

I have read the documentation (ofcourse :P) but I still have a question
that i couldn't find on the Wiki or documentation. Again, I may just be
blind as a bat :).

How does Box Backup handle open files. I ask this because I would like
to be able to make backups of entire clients, not just specific disks.
I'd like to be able to create cron-jobs on the clients that backup the
entire /. This means that files could be "locked" and I was wondering
how Box backup goes about handling those situations. If i can backup the
entire filesystem it would be possible to recreate an entire client
machine by just plugging a harddisk into another computer with Box backup
installed and restoring to that disk, then plugging the harddisk in the
machine and rebooting. This would be an ideal situation as it would
enable me to restore an entire machine including its configuration in a
matter of hours.

Also, on a side note, samba share files might be locked by users that
have the file open from a network share for instance.

Best regards,
Eelco Jepkema