[Box Backup] Win32 port

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:48:04 +0000

Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>> Is that different to http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/martin/test/  ?
>
> Oops, I didn't realise Martin had already done that work :-(

I just hacked together a quick branch in order to test merging of the
code and see what kind of overlap there was between the multiple
streams of development there were. Hence the reason I called it 'test'.

> Martin and I had different ideas about which files should be
> converted to Unix line endings and which shouldn't:

Don't pay much attention to my line ending 'choices'. They were mostly
directory based and only intended to remove erroneous conflicts.

> I also see that Martin has removed boost from the project, but I
> don't see any changes to the build files to replace the boost regex
> library which Nick used.

No, I had no way of building it even if I wanted to. Just wanted to
make the test merge easier, no attempt made at correctness.

Ben wrote:
> I think we should go with UNIX style endings whereever it does not  cause
> problems with Win32. Otherwise SVN doesn't work terribly well  with diffs.

No need for that. Just set the correct properties on the files in svn
and it will take care of all line ending nonsense. See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.5

We should set svn:eol-style = native on most files (including all the
source code and documentation). Then svn:eol-style = CRLF on windows
only files that have to be that way.

Given that the windows port needs quite a bit of work, and the autoconf
stuff is essentially finished, I would prefer if we could merge
autoconf before win32. Although I can't build the win32 I'd be happy to
help out with any extra autoconf work required.

If others are ok with this, then maybe it would be better to work off
my autoconf branch for the new win32 work in order to reduce merging
problems later.

Cheers,

Martin.