[Box Backup] A few questions about BoxBackup

Gary boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:04:22 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

A few questions about BoxBackup:

1. One-time backup. Is there any way to backup a set of files on the
bbstored side, erase them locally, but instruct bbstored NOT to delete
those files on housekeeping? I have some files that I do not want to
keep around my server, but would like to store them in the encrypted
form on a remote machine. Perhaps an option in bbackupd.conf along with
a way to later on remove an archive selectively?

2. Immediate clean-up of deleted files. I understand that bbstored will
keep deleted files for as long as the soft limit is not hit. Is there
any way to instruct bbstored to remove deleted files from the store on
the next housekeeping run, without waiting for the soft limit?

3. Compare -aq reliability. Does bbstored actually fully re-create a
tested file (from multiple uploaded rsync "slices"?) before calculating
its checksum and sending it back to the client? In other words, is -aq
comparison end-to-end (attributes aside)?

4. Compare -aq performance. I ran some tests on the compare command
bbackupquery, and even on a set of 65 very small files (around 200 Kb
each) in 11 folders, compare -aq tool well over 5 minutes. It seems a
bit on the slow side, considering the network link is ~1Mb/sec. Is this
normal?

Excellent tool, Ben, thanks for writing and publishing it.

Gary