[Box Backup] Win32 Boxbackup client update

Nick Knight boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:06:08 -0000

Oh - dam!

I noticed the force-sync bit myself - this seems to be more a general
problem than win32 - the backupctl doesn't appear to have code for it -
unless I am reading the code wrongly.

I have tested the terminate when it it is run as an application but not
as a service - could you clarify how you are running it?

The timeout is another issue I would get to the bottom of, I suspect it
is because the thread is busy transferring files - so sometimes can take
longer.

The source is on the way - I am just discussing with Ben as to the best
way to do this - I would very much like some help with bug fixing!

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk [mailto:boxbackup-admin@fluffy.co.uk]
On Behalf Of Jamie Neil
Sent: 17 February 2005 10:54
To: boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Box Backup] Win32 Boxbackup client update

Nick Knight wrote:
> 2/ bbackupctl now working - needs more testing by you guys!

bbackupctl testing results:

1) sync in lazy mode seems to work fine.

2) sync in snapshot mode doesn't work (unless I am misunderstanding it's

function). It returns a valid config from the daemon, but no backup is
done.

3) reload doesn't work:

  - reload in lazy mode after no changes to config will hang on every=20
other call.
  - reload in lazy mode after changing the config seems to hang the=20
daemon which then needs to be killed.
  - reload in lazy mode seems to always trigger a backup (not sure if=20
this is supposed to happen)
  - reload in snapshot mode seems to do nothing, it just returns the=20
(old) config.

4) force-sync just returns (Exception: <UNKNOWN>).

5) terminate seems to break the daemon but not actually terminate it.

Hope that's of some help :)

BTW is there any reason why the service (bobbackup(?)) takes so long to=20
stop? It starts quickly enough, but takes a minute or so to stop, which=20
is long enough for the service manager to time out.

And is there any chance of getting the source? I'd like to assist with=20
bugfixing if I can.

--=20
Jamie Neil | <jamie@versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254