[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:09:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

> Not the standard 4 clause BSD licence as used for Box - it contains the
> attribution clause ("contains software written by...") which is not
> compatible with the GPL. (See the gnu site for a detailed explanation.)
>
> I believe what you say would be true for the modified 3 clause BSD
> licence (the same, but missing the attribution clause), but that's not
> relevant here.

You are right that the 3 clause BSD ("modified BSD") license is completely
compatible with the GPL. The advertising clause is not, but I have no
objection to adding this clause to the license for my application, which
would then not be exactly GPL, but close enough for my purposes.

I would not like to release my code under any kind of BSD license, since I
don't think it does enough to ensure that commercial users return their
changes to the community.

> For the record I give Ben permission to re-licence the (admittedly few)
> modifications I have already submitted for Box, and any I submit in
> future, to the GPL at any time he likes. But somehow I'm sure that won't
> be necessary. ;-)

I really hope that won't be necessary. My intention was definitely not to
create a fork of Boxbackup. I do not intend to change the license of the
Box code in any way. As far as I know, I just need permission to
distribute and link the applications together, and for others to do the
same.